During the 1940s, the oval began attracting sports car enthusiasts. Members of the newly organized SCCA would hold time trials and Gymkhanas using parts of the oval and the infield ¼ mile track. From 1952-1967, the oval track and an adjacent section of the Speedway property were leased to owners of the neighboring sports car track, the Thompson Raceway.
In the late 1960s, Thompson Speedway opened the road course known as Thompson Version 3. This configuration included re-designed turns from the original 1952 layout, updated viewing areas and paddocks. Thompson, Connecticut had, indeed, become the center of auto racing in the northeast as well as a known motorsports destination in the United States.
Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park offers a uniquely diverse variety of track layouts and race courses. We’re the only course in Connecticut with both an oval and a road course.
The back bone of the facility is the 5/8 mile high banked oval. Incorporated into the oval is the 1.7 mile road racing circuit. Within the 1.7 mile road racing circuit there is an option to eliminate the clubhouse hairpin turn and use a 1.5 mile configuration, which creates a challenging sweeping set of S-curves through the bridge turn.